Monday, January 10, 2011

Christmas Round-up

Phew! Christmas Knitting is over, and it is time for Selfish Knitting Month! I heard that label for January here and quite like the idea but am only partially participating, contrary to my plans. More on that later. Now: Christmas Knitting Round-up!

1. First and best place goes to Mum's Christmas Mittens. (Pattern here.)

In all their glorious glory.
These took me forever, since I made one almost entirely before being forced to conclude that it was too small. I started again, finished one with the correct size of needle (colourwork is tighter than plain, colourwork is tighter than plain, colourwork is tighter than plain...), moved on to Project Expedition Cozies, and then whipped up the second one once those were done. They actually don't take too long to do, once you get into it. The results are fabulous too, with the right yarn. I'm so happy with the one I chose at the shop in Vancouver (Gina Brown's Yarn, the best of the three shops I checked out there). I got compliments on them wherever I knit, and mama was happy with the final result. Her friend even asked for a pair, half-jokingly I'm sure. I don't think I'll be making more of these any time soon though, I've got too many new and exciting and different things to make!

The happy recipient modeling for me.
2. Project Expedition Cozies


Got them done just in time! Everyone was pleasantly surprised, so it turned out nicely. Apparently at Christmastime customers were asking about them and claiming I should sell them! Ha. They would probably be the only thing worth selling, since they're so quick to make, but then I'd have to go and invent my own patterns and it wouldn't be much fun anymore. It was fun playing with all different yarns and patterns, but I'm glad it's over.

3. Brad's Artoo Detoque (Pattern here.)


After knitting it once and it being the size that would probably only fit a small child, I upped my needles and added some rows. It's still too small, but he's happy with it. I'll probably add some earflaps or something to make it more useful in the cold.
It's knit originally as a blue and grey striped toque and then the details are duplicate stitched on. I added one protruding bit and made a few modifications to the details. I also used the decrease from Jared Flood's Turn a Square, since the first toque turned out really pointy. I like it, though there are slight ladders between the paired decreases. The cast-on I used was this one demonstrated by Ysodal Teague. It is fanastic, a tubular cast-on with no waste yarn that can be adapted to 1x1 or 2x2 rib. Love it.

Happy recipient actually smiling for the camera!
4. Meg's Lazy Leaves Mittens


Made to match her tam. Using this pattern, I just inserted the leaf motif instead of the centre cable. Turned out nicely, I think.

5. Sackboy! (Pattern here.)


The avatar from the Little Big Planet Game, I made him after Christmas to give to Jess and Jordan, our friends who also happen to love that game. As soon as we played it, I was thinking hey, I could knit that, and so I found a pattern, and I did. :D They like him, and I told them if they were good, I might make him some clothes. (as you go through the game, you unlock new clothes/colours/accessories for him. It's not the point of the game, but when you play greedy and must complete everything, like me, it's fun to collect them and fiddling with your avatar's looks is entertaining.)

 6. Pink Test Knit


I tested out a pattern for Briana. I loved the look of this yarn on the hank, though initially didn't like it once knit up. It's VERY pink. It's growing on me though! The pattern is nice and quick to memorise, and it would be easy to do something different in the big stockinette sections. With this particular yarn I think it would have looked better in garter stitch, but that's okay. So far I've worn this thing skating on the canal and walking around today and it is really nice and toasty! Plus, when I pull it up over my nose, the YO holes are nice vents for my breath... maybe it won't fog up my sunglasses when I wear them biking or skiing!

It's a big triangle with a spinal column horseshoe cable in the middle and 4 YO increases every other row.
And that's it for my Christmas Knits.

I'm selfishly knitting myself a sweater now. It is going to be lovely. I picked a seamless one for my first sweater ever, because contrary to my usual ways, I'm not just going to throw myself at a whole bunch of terrifying knitting feats at once. This will be my biggest project to date, so I figured I'd leave steeks and side seams and all that for another time.

Long Sleeved Scabbard

That's the one, and I'm doing it in a slightly darker grey than what's pictured. I've got the neck done and am halfway through the raglan increases for the shoulders, but other projects keep distracting me!

Other projects:
1. Meg wants an infinity scarf. She came with me to the yarn store to buy my sweater wool, and she bought some wool herself, so I've started on it, using this pattern. Unfortunately I forgot to check how much yarn I'd need to make it before going, and assumed that two balls would be enough. Two balls will be about half-enough. Sigh. At least super bulky knits up super quickly!

2. While browsing  patterns, I noticed a "medical" category, which was funny... until Meg said she'd like a stethoscope cozy. Well, okay, I may have suggested it. Anyway, she bought another, smaller skein for me to make that, so I've been working away and my own improvised pattern. It's just a tube in 1x1 rib with a small cable on one side, but I'm toying with ways to finish it up.

3. The above-mentioned mother's friend has a birthday in March that mother suggested/requested I make her mittens for. So, I guess I should do that.

4. I've been thinking about making something for Nana, who taught me to knit in the first place about a year ago. I'd like to make her a nice shawl for her birthday, but I don't know if I'll have time. Nice shawls take a long time, I imagine, since they are usually lacy and made with rather small tension. We shall see.

And of course there's the bevy of things I'd like to make for myself, to which I have added legwarmers. I want something to wear with my boots, since my calves are rather too small for them. Something warm and pretty that will fill in the gap between boot and leg.

Oh,  and I've decided that when I make another toque for myself, it will be blue. I have no blue toques.

Okay. That's all for now. I really need to finish running the errands I was going to run an hour ago.

2 comments:

  1. Since you are taking orders... my glorious mittens are lonely... a glorious scarf would be lovely (some day)
    :-)
    WH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carly! That hat is wonderful!!! I love it! (the one on Brad)! And the sweater is awesome, hopefully you get around to finishing it soon :D I loved the fingerless gloves you sent me!!! It's so cool that you can knit!

    ReplyDelete