Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Crossing things off the Queue

Two weeks from my last post, and I've already got a chunk of my to-do's done! I've been productive lately... must be all the staying inside to avoid the cold!

1. Owly Mittens for Wolf
And this time, they fit!


Used this pattern to make bulky-weight mittens that would fit a five-year-old, and these instructions to turn them into owls!
2. Sweater for Rachel's baby

A little old man sweater for a little baby! Pattern: Baby Sophisticate by Linden Down.

It doesn't really fit my squishy bear very well, but he sure looks classy sitting with the books. I think it should fit a small baby for a little while.
It's all about the buttons.
 I had mittens on that to-do list, but I decided against it, because I remembered something EVEN BETTER...

3. Reepicheep!
Once upon a time, Rachel showed me a drawing she had made at age three or so. It was Reepicheep, from the Narnia books. I'm sure she'll read those books to her kiddo one day, so I thought it would be fitting to make a little stuffed Reep for them!

“It was a Mouse on its hind legs and stood about two feet high. A thin band of gold passed round its head under one ear and over the other and in this was stuck a long crimson feather. (As the Mouse’s fur was very dark, almost black, the effect was bold and striking.)"
Ta-daaa! I used the pattern for Marisol the Knitted Mouse with a few adaptations and embellishments.

Reep in his coracle... or cereal bowl, whichever.

He's not afraid of large fluffy cats... even if his sword is kinda floppy.

The feather kinda makes him look like a Vegas showgirl.

The effect, I hope, is bold and striking.
 4. Length to Toque
This was easiest of all. I just ripped out the original edge, cast-on some tubular ribbing, and did 1x1 until it seemed long enough. He's much happier with it, and so am I.

It can be adjusted so the ribbing covers more or less of the ears. Yay! Also, check out that hockey hair... He's had it cut since.

It totally covers my ears... I suppose have a slightly smaller head.
Here it is in action. Kept his head warm for a game of shinny.

 5. Sweater for Me!
I have not finished or even started this. Ha. BUT I made a decision and requested the yarn! The order will go in when they next put in an order... so it could be a while, but I'm being patient. I am resisting the urge to run out and buy the yarn to make my second choice.


Now what remains of my list? Well, Brad got a bunch of sweaters for Christmas, so he decided he doesn't need me to knit him one. Instead, he wants slippers.

So:
  •  Slippers for Brad and me
  •  Legwarmers for Meg and mum (an initial pattern search has been conducted!)
  • Sweater for me
This next thing is not on my queue, but I am madly desirous of it.

Rams and Yowes by Kate Davies (Pattern link) 

Look how beautiful!
Made with all natural undyed shades of shetland wool. Oh I want one.
 I want to make one so very badly. I've been craving some intricate multi-coloured stranding lately... and this would fit the bill fabulously. The yarn is perfect but would require ordering from the UK. Shipping included the total cost of yarn would be about $75. I keep telling myself that's not so bad, then sternly reprimanding myself that yes, it is. I keep telling myself that maybe if I just got one more ball of each colour I could make the tam too... then reminding myself that I don't wear tams. I suppose I could look for a more locally available alternative, but really I want that exact blanket. Ah well, something to yearn after.


Oh, and here's a picture of the cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment