There is nothing, oh blog, nothing quite like noticing you screwed something up several rows later, figuring out just what it was and how exactly you screwed it up, and going back to fix it.
You'd think stockinette stitch would be easy, but I manage, oh I do, to screw it up. This was a simple act of wrapping the yarn and then accidentally slipping the stitch without noticing... until several rows later when I had a hole that looked suspiciously like a yarn over, an extra stitch, and a stitch that spanned two rows instead of one. Of course, I didn't notice the spanning stitch right away. No no, I simply wonder how in the world I'd managed to yarn over like that, dropped the extra stitch, and gone on assuming it would fix itself.
On closer, more obsessive observation, I realised something was still wonky. And then, oh hooray, I noticed what it was. And so I let that stitch drop down to just the right place and knitted it back up again. I am a hero, I am a legend, I am not just a beginner anymore. I have graduated to the vaulted heights of a beginner who can fix her mistakes!
Yeah, not a big deal. But really there's no feeling better.
Except, maybe, finishing a two-month old project that took you way longer than it should have and getting it in the mail at long last. I almost feel something akin to post-partum for that project. Almost. But now I'm on to smaller and faster things! Things in which I can fix my mistakes! The future, it is soft and dainty.
No comments:
Post a Comment